Monday 5 March 2012

Herman the friendship cake

herman the friendship cake

Following my bread-making class the other week a friendly fellow at work donated me some sourdough yeast called Herman. You may have heard of him, he's been around a bit.

He came with a friendship cake recipe and after cultivating the yeast for 10 days it was ready to make into a big cake! And a very tasty cake it is. Apple and cinnamon and raisins is always a winner in my book.

bake the cake

There was a lot of sugar involved (the brown sugar on the top is definitely the best bit).

Before baking the cake, the yeast was divided up into four: 1 portion for the cake, 1 to keep and grow, and 2 to pass onto some friendly folk over tea and tasting (hence the friendship cake).

Matt and I even did a trade: some yeast and cake for a knitting file. It's good to share! And I only have to wait another 10 days until I can do it again...

...I might make bread next time though. A slightly healthier option.

1 comment:

Emily said...

wonderful bake! i am pleased herman can be used for cakes too! lovely!